Hello and welcome to Year 2’s webpage!
Here you can see what the children in Year 2 have in store as the year goes by, keep up-to-date with key dates for your diary and also access important documents such as class newsletters, curriculum overviews and year group expectations. Additionally, here is link to our class blog which will keep you up to date with what is happening in Year 2.
Year 2 Team:
- Children need to come to school on time and ready to learn; this includes having all of their uniform labelled and wearing the correct footwear.
- Please ensure that your child brings a water bottle into school each day which is clearly labelled with their name.
Autumn Term Curriculum Overview:
We aim to enjoy this year and have a fun and exciting curriculum planned for the children. Please see below the overview for The Autumn Term in Year 2.
It is very important that your child’s attendance is as high as possible this term. There continues to be a strong correlation nationally between children’s attendance and progress. Particularly this term, recovering ground lost through days off school will prove very difficult as time is at such a premium.
- Reading records must be brought to school daily and will be checked in on a Monday morning. Children should be heard read a minimum of 4 times a week and have their reading records signed. We actively encourage you to read with your child daily, sharing a range of text types to ensure it is an exciting and motivating experience. Reading supports your child in developing a richer vocabulary and comprehension skills and will ultimately impact their writing outcomes. The children will receive a school reading book and ‘bedtime’ book. This book may be beyond their reading ability but is a book that they have chosen to share and enjoy at home.
- Spellings words will be taken from the Y1 & 2 Common exception words list and 5 new words will be given out each Monday and the children tested on them the following Monday. Please ask for advice on rehearsal at home if you are stuck for ideas.
- Writing homework is sent home on a Wednesday and should be returned every Monday which will then be marked and sent back out on the Wednesday with a new task for the children to complete.
- Children are encouraged to access Times Tables Rockstars (TTRS) and SPAG.com and your child has been given their log in for these websites. There will be tasks set for these as the term moves forwards but we are giving the children the chance to settle first.
Please refer to the school Homework Policy if uncertain on any expectations (this is on our school website).
In the meantime, should you have any questions, comments or concerns that you would like to raise with me, please do not hesitate to catch me or a member of the team at the door or email me directly at: [email protected]
Our Class Saint:
Saint Francis of Assisi,
Pray for us.